Friday, October 12, 2007

Sea Ranch Vacation 10/4/07-10/7/07

Kirby and I took a few days off and ventured up the coast to The Sea Ranch (just south of Gualala CA on the Sonoma county coast). We were there 2 years ago in August, and while it was gorgeous and relaxing, it was foggy the entire time we were there. So I decided to try going in October this year, hoping to avoid the fog. We lucked out--the weather was absolutely gorgeous!

Here are a couple pictures of our rental house 'Dacha'


Here's the view of the ocean from the back deck...second picture shows rain coming in over the ocean...fortunately it just rained a bit the first evening we were there and it was gorgeous and sunny the rest of the time we were there.


It was Bambi central especially in the mornings and evenings. Since I wasn't trying to grow a garden there, I was able to enjoy them for their beauty! One evening, there were about 10 of them in the field behind the house. And the next morning, I got to see 3 of them running around chasing each other and playing (did you realize that deer played?) When I first saw them running, I was expecting to see a mountain lion behind them, but it turned out there were just playing and having fun!


Here's Kirby checking out the deer--I don't think he's ever seen one before. He would have liked to go out and chase them, but fortunately the deck was completely fenced in.


Here are some pictures from the hikes that we took...first up is a pathway underneath some really cool trees. The branches were bent all the way down to the ground, forming a tunnel.


And some assorted shots of the ocean from different spots along the coast


And some harbor seals basking in the sun in the marine preserve


I'm already planning a return trip for next year...just need to decide whether to rent the same house again, or try a different one!

No comments:

Post a Comment